- Knowledge Centre
- Virtual Business Seminar
- The UN Agencies
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
Lead and Coordinate International action for the world-wide protection of refugees and the resolution of refugee problems
UNHCR was founded on 14 December 1950 by the UN General Assembly. The role of the Organization is to protect and support refugees at the request of a government or the UN itself and assists in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country. The mandate is to provide, on a non-political and humanitarian basis, international protection to refugees and to seek permanent solutions for them.
UNHCR is a significant humanitarian organization with approximately 9,300 employees, present in 123 countries with a total of 455 offices with a budget in 2015 of 6.8 billion dollars. Headquarters are in Geneva, Budapest and Copenhagen. Its procurement volume has increased in the last years, from 417 million US$ in 2010 to 1,045 billion US$ in 2014. DESS (Division of Emergency response, Security and Supply) coordinates all procurement and supply activities within the Organization (Emergency response commitment in 72 hours; airlifts with Core Relief Items; benefit up to 500,000 refugees; deploy up to 300 staff).The Procurement Service (PS) and the Supply Management and Logistics Service (SMLS) are located in Budapest, Hungary.
In line with UN Financial Regulations and Rules: UNHCR procurement is based on fairness, integrity and transparency through competition and best value for money, taking into consideration the best interest of the organization. Priority is given to source in areas of operation (when prices are competitive and other conditions allow) and UNHCR uses competitive bidding to obtain goods and services (Exceptions to this are limited to a few cases only).
EXAMPLE OF ITEMS PROCURED BY UNHCR
|Drugs and medical Supplies||Inspection|
|IT and Telecommunication equipment||Health Administration Service|
|Jerry cans, buckets||Lease or rental of property/building|
|Kitchen sets, stoves||Mailing services|
|Hygiene parcel||Medical Services, Evacuation|
|Office equipment||Meeting facilities|
|Plastic tarpaulins, rolls||Printing|
|Sanitary materials||Road maintenance service|
|Solar lamp||SAT Communication service|
TOP 10 ITEMS IN 2014 BASED ON PROCUREMENT VALUE (m. US$)
|ITEMS||VALUE (in m. $)|
|PREFABRICATED WASH UNIT||12|
|REFUGEE HOUSING UNIT||12|
|SERVICES||VALUE (in m. $)|
|LEASE/RENTAL OF PROPERTY BUILD||28|
|OFFICE SECURITY SERVICES||22|
|UN JOINT ADMIN CONTRIBUTIONS||15|
|MASS COMMUNICATION SERVICES||10|
|MEDIA CAMPAIGN SERVICES||10|
DOING BUSINESS WITH UNHCR
UNHCR vendor database registers all vendors to UNHCR for the purpose of tendering and supplying to the UNHCR. Filling a Vendor Registration Form with supporting documents which includes the following information is mandatory:
- Firm/Company/Factory registration certificate
- Brochures on products/services
- Audit certificate/report
- Environmental policy
- Quality assurance certificate
- Registration with Tax/VAT
- Company’s annual financial report
There are three types of solicitation documents issued by the UNHCR to fulfil a procurement requirement, which will vary in accordance with the nature of the requirement and the estimated monetary value:
- Request for Quotation (RFQ): An informal invitation to submit a quotation for requirements of relatively low monetary value. Prices and other commercial terms and conditions are requested and an award is usually made to the lowest priced technically compliant offer.
- Request for Proposal (RFP): A formal request to submit a proposal against requirements that have a monetary value above the RFQ threshold but are not fully definable at the time of solicitation and where the innovation and specific expertise of the proposer is sought to better meet the procurement requirement. Price is only one of several factors comprising the evaluation criteria, which are determined before the RFP is released. The offer from a supplier is submitted in two sets of documents: a Technical offer and a Financial offer.
- Invitation to Bid (ITB): A formal invitation to submit a bid usually associated with requirements that are clearly or concisely defined, and have a monetary value above the RFQ threshold. Award recommendations are based on the lowest cost technically compliant offer.
Supplier Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct sets forth what is expected of all suppliers with whom UNHCR does business. The complete version of the “UN Supplier Code of Conduct” can be found online at: www.unhcr.org/supply