- Knowledge Centre
- Doing Business with the UN
- The UN Agencies
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization
The mission of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in developing countries and economies in transition.
The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the recently adopted 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs.
Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in three thematic priorities, each of which represents different aspects of ISID:
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation.
In carrying out the core requirements of its mission, UNIDO has considerably increased its technical services over the past ten years. At the same time, it has also substantially increased its mobilization of financial resources, testifying to the growing international recognition of the Organization as an effective provider of catalytic industrial development services.
About UNIDO Procurement
Procurement at UNIDO ensures efficient, cost effective, transparent and timely procurement of goods, works and services required for UNIDO’s operations. UNIDO’s Procurement Services carries out all procurement and contracting services on behalf of the Organization relating to headquarters, the field, and technical cooperation activities. Its primary functions include:
- the development and maintenance of procurement and contracting policies, procedures and guidelines, taking into account best practices to ensure competitive, efficient, transparent, non-discriminatory and effective procurement and contracting activities;
- the development of tailored procurement strategies and supply chain channels, ensuring the selection of the most appropriate and effective sourcing modality suited to the specific procurement requirements and conditions;
- the establishment and maintenance of long-term agreements at national, regional and global levels.
The eProcurement system currently utilized by UNIDO has proven to be a very positive gateway. By easing supplier relationship management and reducing timelines considerably, UNIDO has experienced a substantial increase in the quality and efficiency of its technical cooperation projects.