The institution will contribute to the critical analysis of barriers and bottlenecks and the development of recommendations to improve access to SAM treatment and effective coverage in areas with SAM management services. Main references for this exercise includes but are not limited to 1) the DOH Administrative Order 2015-0055 or the National Guidelines on the Management of Acute Malnutrition for Children under 5 years; 2) SAM Manual of Operations 2015; 3) UNICEF Guidance Documents on the conduct of BNA; and 4) Documentation of BNA exercises for SAM treatment services in countries including Kenya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Tanzania, Somalia, Burkina Faso, Chad and Gambia.
The Consultancy will also support the DOH Family Health Office documenting lessons learned, good practices, case studies and experiences implementation of SAM management services in initial 2016 and 2017 provinces and in conducting the first ever SAM Bottleneck Analysis in the Philippines.
- Seventeen (17) for 2016: Camarines Sur, Catanduanes, Masbate, Antique, Iloilo, Bohol, Cebu, Eastern Samar, Northern Samar, Leyte, Zamboanga del Sur, Davao del Sur, Davao Occidental, North Cotabato, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu
- Twenty-one (21) for 2017: Abra, Agusan del Norte, Aurora, Cagayan, Camarines Norte, Capiz, Ilocos Norte, Laguna, Mindoro Occidental, Misamis Occidental, NCR District 2, Nueva Viscaya, Palawan, Pangasinan, Quezon, Western Samar, Saranggani, Siquijor, Tawi-Tawi, Zambales, Zamboanga Sibugay
Costs for the Inception and BNA workshops and all meetings are included in this contract as will professional fees, transportation and DSA expenses of the team in organizing and preparing for the workshops (supporting DOH to send and follow-up invitations), and providing their technical assistance before, during and prior to the workshops, in the collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data from implementing provinces, and preparation and review of documents. Provision of all workshop-related expenses: venue, board and lodging (double occupancy), meals, travelling costs of all participants and resource persons based on least cost and most direct route for plane fares and government rates for applicable DSA. UNICEF will provide list of accredited hotels and rates. UNICEF will reimburse the enumerated expenses based on actual expenditures upon submission of invoices.
Tasks and Deliverables
The team will coordinate with DOH Family Health Office, DOH Regional Offices, NNC Secretariat, LGU and hospital staff, CMAM WG members, and implementing partners to ensure a thorough and consultative process in the conduct of the BNA exercise. Below are the following tasks and deliverables for this consultancy:
- With DOH and UNICEF, design, conduct and facilitate a consultative Inception workshop to define and contextualize the indicators and necessary tools used to perform the analysis
- Conduct supportive visits in at least 15 provinces (mix of 2016 and 2017 areas), a representative sample of areas implementing SAM Management Services to collect qualitative and quantitative information using agreed indicators and tools
- Conduct and facilitate a validation workshop with relevant stakeholders to critically analyze gathered information to identify bottlenecks and barriers to access and effective coverage and perform causality analysis of root causes.
- Using a consultative process, develop a Strategic action plan and prioritization of evidence-based solutions to address bottlenecks and improve the implementation of SAM Management Services.
- Develop at least 5 case studies (with hi-resolution photos from field visits and meetings/workshops) on the experience, good practices, lessons learned and challenges in delivering SAM management services and 1 process documentation on the conduct of the BNA exercise.